Scope of the API - language support

Forum for CIF developers to define an application programming interface for CIF software.

Moderators: Brian McMahon, jcbollinger

jcbollinger

Scope of the API - language support

Post by jcbollinger » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:43 pm

It is perhaps a question better considered later, but we will eventually need to decide on the native language(s) for the API. Having done that, we will have the option of defining bindings to the API for use from other languages.

For example, my initial, weak inclination is to target a native C99 API, or maybe a C90 one. In that case, do we plan for C++ wrapper objects? What about bindings for Fortran, Python, Perl, Ruby, and / or next year's language du jour? Or should we target the API at a different language to begin with?

jcbollinger

Re: Scope of the API - language support

Post by jcbollinger » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 pm

jcbollinger wrote:It is perhaps a question better considered later, but we will eventually need to decide on the native language(s) for the API. Having done that, we will have the option of defining bindings to the API for use from other languages.

For example, my initial, weak inclination is to target a native C99 API, or maybe a C90 one. In that case, do we plan for C++ wrapper objects? What about bindings for Fortran, Python, Perl, Ruby, and / or next year's language du jour? Or should we target the API at a different language to begin with?

Since no one else has yet expressed an opinion on this topic, let us initially target a C99 API.

Although I favor bindings to other languages and maybe C++ wrappers, those questions do not need to be decided at this point.

yayahjb

Post by yayahjb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Microsoft VS C compatibility is also important. That would mean avoiding
conflicts with C89.

jcbollinger

Post by jcbollinger » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 pm

yayahjb wrote:Microsoft VS C compatibility is also important. That would mean avoiding
conflicts with C89.

That's fine by me.