Target audience for IT Volume H

This forum has been set up to allow discussions of the new volume of International Tables on Powder Diffraction. It is intended to allow discussion of all aspects of the volume.
IanMadsen

Target audience for IT Volume H

Post by IanMadsen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 am

Hi All,
To get the ball rolling with this list I would like to open a discussion on the purpose for Volume H as we see it; specifically, who is our target audience. At the recent Erice meeting there was some discussion at a dinner meeting of CPD members present at the time. There was some difference in opinion in the appropriate level for the writing of Vol H. I offer the following opinions (open to the usual hacking about):-

(1) Each chapter needs to start with a solid theoretical background behind the methodology being presented. It should provide a historical (short) as well as an up to date (more extensive) overview of the field with supporting mathematics. Maybe this could represent ~1/3 to 1/2 of the total contribution. I suggest this limit because, if the whole chapter takes this form, then it may not be quite as accessible to all practitioners (thus limiting usefulness of the book).

(2) The next ~1/3 could consist of illustrative examples of application of the methods listed in the first 1/3 .

(3) The final ~1/3 could be used to provide a more pedestrian description of 'how to' - i.e. a tutorial on how to develop and apply the methodology in practice. If this was felt to be too low level for the printed version, then it would make a nice addition for the on-line version where it could be updated and added to as new workers contrive new ways to use the basic methodologies.

Such an approach may serve to maximise use by the widest range of diffraction analysts.

Cheers

chrisgilmore

Re: Target audience for IT Volume H

Post by chrisgilmore » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I am strongy of the view that this volume should be a practical volume - a 'how to' tome that people go to as their first choice when confronted with a problem, so I'm sympathetic to Ian's view. I agree also that most sections will need a strong theory part at the start. This is less true for the various application chapters.

The one problem with a 'how to do it' section is that it will often reference equipment and software in a specific way so it can get out of date quite quickly. This can be rectified quite easily with the on-line version (at least in principle - someone has to do it!).

Basically, I am agreeing with Ian here.

mahesh2086

Re: Target audience for IT Volume H

Post by mahesh2086 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:11 am

structure solution form PXRD will be included in this IT volume H or not ?